If you are looking for a great little getaway from Houston.
There is a lot to do in Matagorda, TX, and it is less than a two hour drive from Houston.
Camping in Matagorda Nature & RV Park Camp Ground
This campground is right on the Colorado river and practically walking distance from a beautiful beach that reminds me of South Padre Island!
Matagorda is also less than a 2 hour drive from our house in Houston. We met my parents there in their RV.
Things to do while camping in Matagorda, TX
- Beautiful Beach
- Small Town Feel
- National Wildlife Refuge & Goose Island State Park Nearby Drive
- Restrooms and Showers (with code to lock doors)
- Boat Ramp
- Super close to Beach – Buy a beach pass at Stanley’s and Drive onto the beach
- Family friendly
What to Eat in Matagorda
There are limited options of places to eat, but we recommend Stanley’s for some quick options when you don’t want to cook. Also, plan ahead to cook many of your own easy meals.
Easy Meals to cook at your campsite:
- Corn on the Cobb
- Seafood! – If you don’t catch anything, buy some fresh “eatin'” shrimp from Rawlins Bait Shop.
- ProTip: Bring your own Trash Can (and there’s no fire pit)